Step-by-Step Guide for Securing ADHD Accommodations at School

October 28, 2022
from ADDitude Editors

8 straightforward steps — from requesting a school evaluation to monitoring accommodations — to help parents develop the best IEP or 504 Plan possible for kids with ADHD.

How to Get an IEP or 504 Plan for ADHD

The process of securing academic accommodations for your child with attention deficit disorder (ADHD or ADD) can be confusing — and intimidating. Follow these eight steps to take the hassle out of requesting and establishing an IEP or 504 Plan for ADHD.

1. Get an Accurate ADD Evaluation

Write a letter requesting an evaluation to see if your child with ADHD might benefit from academic accommodations.

Address it to the chairperson of the Committee on Special Education Services — aka the Director of Special Education Services. (It’s often a waste of time to send the letter to the child’s teachers, guidance counselor, or principal.)

Should the school decline your request, or if you’re dissatisfied with the evaluation’s findings, arrange for a private ADHD evaluation. (In some circumstances, the school may have to pay for the outside assessment.)

TIP: Send your letter by certified mail or hand-deliver it and keep a dated proof of receipt for your records.

Read the entire piece on


Get a FREE In-home or Office Consultation

Need help from our professional organizers in the Seattle and Eastside areas? Schedule your FREE consultation with one of our experts today!