There are endless articles out there sharing tips and hacks on how to declutter and organize your spaces. Of course you should start with a plan and a set of priorities. Yes, you should set aside a realistic of amount time and energy to undertake this project. If you can, enlist your partner and other family members to help. Those are just a few of the DO’s to organizing. What I’ve got here is a list, gleaned from our very own Simplify Experts organizers, of some excellent DON’Ts to decluttering and organizing.
- Do not try to do it all in one day.
- Don’t establish unrealistic goals such as the entire house in one day or the whole garage in two hours.
- Don’t expect things to go quickly; i.e. the disorganization did not happen in one day, so it won’t be fixed in one day.
- Do not try to do an entire room, closet, or garage all at once. Divide the space into sections and get through each one before tackling the next.
- Don’t underestimate the time it takes to sort through things, whether it’s paper piles, clothes, or toys.