7 Things to Get Rid of Before Moving
Moving to a new house presents a perfect opportunity to remind yourself of what you have accumulated over time. Some people unknowingly accumulate several identical pairs of shoes, hoard unused clothes, or fill their closets with half-finished crafts. Basically, these items are non-essentials, and you shouldn’t take them to your new home. Unfortunately, because of the sentimental value of these items or other reasons, most people find difficulties choosing what can remain and what they should throw out.
Why You Should Declutter Before Moving
Decluttering before moving is important for the following reasons:
- Reduce moving costs – professional moving companies charge for moving services based on the total weight of your items. The more items you have, the more the cost. Decluttering can save on your moving budget.
- Saves on packing supplies – fewer items mean you will need a few packing supplies, such as boxes, wraps, and duct tapes.
- Better for the environment – fewer items to pack means few packing materials and minimal landfill waste.
- Less time spent packing – eliminating non-essentials before packing saves on time and effort used when packing.
- More space in the new house – moving to a new home with reduced closets translates to more storage space.