We all have our own individual goals and dreams. They have evolved over our lifetimes as our lives have changed. Long term goals are things that are very important to us. Some goals are really just dreams because we haven’t taken them seriously enough to take any action toward achieving them. What dreams and goals do you have? Can you take some action on them this summer? Talk through your goals with your spouse or partner and take steps toward achieving the life you want.
Long Term Financial and Legal Goals:
- Check in with financial advisor to confirm investments are on track for retirement goals.
- Revisit any college funds and make sure they are on track.
- Create or update your will and last testament.
- Create or update living will or medical health care directive.
- Revisit your insurance policies including life, umbrella and personal articles policies.
Long Term Goals: Career
- Research options for a new part time or second career.
- Evaluate if you are on track to where you want to be in five, ten years of your career?
- What steps can you take to work toward your ideal career?
- What steps can you take to better balance work and family needs?
- What steps can you take toward your educational goals?
Long Term Goals: Home
- Revisit organizing maintenance to keep your home ready for visits from friends and family.
- What action can you take on any delayed home maintenance?
- Can you list, prioritize and complete any home improvement projects?
- What steps can you take toward owning a vacation home?
- What steps can you take toward owning the home you really want?
Long Term Goals: Personal
- Schedule a physical and dental exam. Revisit your health goals.
- Revisit your exercise goals and regimen.
- What travel do you want to do in the next year? In the next five years?
- How can you reconnect with your spiritual community?
- How can you carve out more time for your own personal interests and hobbies?
Create a list of your own goals and write down what you would like to accomplish in 2016-2017. Happy planning!